Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Local Hero

Local Hero lands somewhere in my top five favorite films of all time and space (it's a list that exists in all four dimensions. When I'm really tired).

It's an absolute tonic; I actually feel better after watching it (which reminds me, I need to watch it again soon). Very quoteworthy: "I'll be a good Gordon, Gordon." "It's blue all over! It's blue all over!"* Lancaster's performance is wonderful, Riegert's probably never been better before or since, it's just an absolutely great film. And what I wouldn't give to have a real-life Felix Happer running an oil company these days.

As far as why Forsyth's not been working lately, I remember hearing an NPR report on Gregory's Two Girls back in the day, essentially lamenting its lack of stateside distribution and what that might portend for those (his) kinds of movies. Seems to have been an accurate call, unfortunately. Perhaps he's disillusioned about the difficulties (financing, marketing) of making the kinds of films he wants to make. See also: Davies, Terence.

*edit: Red. Red all over.

God, I watched this over the weekend. It's been over ten years since I've sat and watched it all the way through. Could have sworn it was blue. My color-blind bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment